Tuesday, August 16, 2011

8.16.11 - Our Journey Begins Publicly


The Journey begins.  I start my blog tonight with words I named my first blog on August 2nd.  Just 1 week ago a new commitment was made. This commitment was not a half willed one.  It was one that deep down inside, was real.  I knew it would result in profound change for the future.   I am ready.  This is it.  I am starting this new journey with the most wonderful support system.  A partner who is going to be making her own equal changes; some similar to mine, some different.  My older sister, Kai and I have never been super close in the past but these last 2 years have turned us into confidants, partners in business and partners in life changes.  No one understands me quite like she does and I believe there are certain aspects of herself that I understand that no one else quite does like I do.  We are the closest in blood it can get and although we are different in many ways, we are intimately alike in others.  We both have an amazing ability to accomplish what we put our mind to.  That ability results from a sharp focus that often hones in on our main goal while all other aspects of our life fall out of focus.  We focus on work and our spiritually and family life are not as healthy as they should or need to be.  We focus on spiritual things and our health and business fall out of focus.  We both know we need better balance and this journey is all about that—becoming the women we know we can be in all aspects of our life.   Making our health, family life, spirituality, and business life work harmoniously; finding the fine balance and keeping proper focus. 

I will be sharing my goals and progress with my dear sisters; spiritual and fleshly (Kai and I have 7 sisters, 8 girls in all).  I invite you to share with me in this as I blog about my ups and downs, progress and stumbling blocks and how I overcome them.  But even more exciting to me than sharing my own progress, is hearing about your own goals.  I invite you to share your own journey with Kai and I.  This system of things is difficult.  All of us can use a support system to encourage us to be strong women… women who can be inspiring mothers, supportive wives and faithful servants of God.   What goals do you have?  Kai and I would love to hear about them.  We can do this girls, we are wonderfully made and all of us can accomplish whatever we put our minds and hearts to.

As a start to our journey, Kai has made a commitment to lose weight. A lot of weight.  As she has focused on all other people in her life the last 20 years, she has turned focus away from herself.   6 weeks ago she weighed 309 pounds.  She has yo-yoed up and down over time.  At one point, 10 years ago, she lost 150 pounds.  When she reached her goal she then turned her focus on other things in her life, lost balance and gained her weight back—all of it and then some.  The last 10 years she has weighed over 200 and probably averaged about 250. Her goal to lose 150 or more pounds again started 6 weeks ago.  She made a commitment to go on a juice fast for 126 days until November 8th, when she turns 40.  She has stuck to her juicing for 42 days and is now 43 pounds lighter; 266 pounds today!  

Kai knows that in order to be able to accomplish her utmost, she needs to be physically healthy.  Sometimes we put ourselves last thinking we are helping others more by doing this.  However, we soon realize that if we are not healthy, we are limited in how much we can do for others. We are also not as happy as we can be if our health is in good shape and of course, this affect our relationships. When Kai announced her juice fast and commitment to lose weight 6 weeks ago, I knew this was it for her.  This was the final time she would need to lose so much weight.  I knew she was ready and that although she would have a tough road ahead of her, that she was now mentally capable to take it on.  It was almost as if I already knew it before she even told me.  I knew it was her time.  Excitedly I confirmed my faith in her and her ability to do this.  We talked about the road ahead and what it would be like.  That evening, I wanted to show my support to her in this new lifestyle and I decided I would make a commitment to also overhaul my eating habits.  I have decided that I would turn to a vegetarian diet until November 8th.  My commitment also includes staying away from all refined carbs and sugar.  If she can juice fruits and veggies all day, I certainly can eat fruits, veggies and whole grains.  I started my own diet August 2nd, one week ago.  I started with the notion I would eat Lacto-Ovo-Pecto (includes fish, eggs and dairy) but I decided today I would make a full commitment to not eat fish or any meat.  I have already studied about how to make sure I get enough nutrients and I have come across some exciting recipes I will soon share.  Just a week of eating this way has already resulted in a 6 pound weight loss for myself.  This is an exciting thing but even more exciting are other ways this eating style have changed things I thought diet had nothing to do with.  I am more clear-headed, happier and focused.  I will share some of my exiting new discoveries in the upcoming weeks.  In the meantime, I invite you to share in Kai’s and my journey and share your own.  You can create a free blogspot account or you can email us.  We can do this. We are ready.  

No comments:

Post a Comment